Chartek from AkzoNobel
Chartek’s legacy goes back to the 1960s, a decade of experimentation and problem solving within NASA’s Apollo Space Program. A key challenge was protecting spacecraft from the heat generated on re-entry into the Earth's atmosphere. The answer came with Chartek’s fire protection technology, which was used to protect the first unmanned spaceflight in 1966. This epoxy intumescent PFP material quite literally blazed a trail for Chartek’s technology to be used across a range of new purposes.
Chartek was officially founded in 1970 and, backed by a pioneering heritage, quickly developed its characteristic and revolutionary technology. Since the launch of Chartek 59 in 1974, Chartek has protecting your assets from the effects of fire in some of the world’s most challenging environments. Powered by over 40 years of proven in-field performance and continuous innovation, Chartek safeguards your legacy.
45+ years track record
As the cement-based materials used at the time were found to lack the durability to survive the harshest and most diverse environments, Chartek became a perfect fit for the needs of the oil industry. Through continuous research and development, our passive fire protection products have changed the way of thinking in the industry.
Today, Chartek is the first choice in fire protection for the world’s oil majors. We deliver solutions that work, whatever the location, whatever the environment and whatever the coating needs.
Exceptional products, exceptional protection
The Chartek name has an unequalled track record in protecting oil and gas installations against explosion, hydrocarbon pool and jet fires. Our range of epoxy PFP products provides premium quality fire protection to areas as diverse as pipe racks, vessels, spheres and even GRP pipes typically found on a range of oil, gas and chemical processing assets.
Chartek products have provided anti-corrosive and aesthetic fire protection for steel structures in markets including infrastructure, power, oil and gas, chemical, mining and bridges, in environments as diverse as the North Sea, the Tropics and Antarctica.
Our products can be found globally on
- Offshore platforms
- Floating production storage and offloading vessels (FPSOs)
- Petrochemical plants
- Liquified natural gas (LNG) terminals
- Liquified petroleum gas (LPG) storage facilities
To find out more about past Chartek projects, click the cases links at the bottom of the page.
- The world’s most widely used range of epoxy PFP coatings.
- Chartek 1709 – Durable: resistant to impact, vibration and mechanical damage. Ideal for modular construction.
- Chartek 2218 – Productive: up to 30% lower applied cost epoxy PFP and up to 50% more steel coated per day than other epoxy PFP on the market.
- Chartek 7 – Proven: the world’s leading epoxy intumescent fire protection with a proven track record of more than 20 years.
- Chartek 7E – Self-reinforced: mesh-free to achieve weight reduction with a safety-first approach.
- Chartek 1620CSP – Game-changing: the first to offer Cryogenic Spill Protection and Fire Protection in one system, and enabling offsite application.
- Chartek 8E – Industry-Leading: combines high-temperature tolerance, low applied weight and meshed/mesh-free options to combat jet and pool fires.